Most of us know cinnamon as the lovely spice we put in our lattes, toasts, and those yummy cinnamon rolls. But did you know that we can also use cinnamon to easily plump our lips?
That’s right. You might be surprised at how well this works! That’s why it is such a popular DIY for juicier-looking lips.
Can You Use Cinnamon & Cinnamon Oil On Your Lips
Yes. You can use both cinnamon spice (powder) and cinnamon oil on your lips to give you that plumping effect.
Cinnamon spice comes in a stick form (that looks like tiny pieces of tree bark) that you can grate, or it comes in a powder form that you can sprinkle into your recipes. It comes straight from the bark of the Cinnamomum tree.
Cinnamon essential oil is a concentrated oil that is extracted from the leaves and the bark of the Cinnamomum tree.
Benefits of Using Cinnamon On Lips
Applying cinnamon spice or cinnamon oil to your lips can:
- Plump your lips fast – cinnamon increases circulation to the skin which can cause your lips to look pinker and plumper as blood rushes to and infuses the capillaries just under the thin skin of your lips. This effect, however, will only last a few hours.
- Increase collagen production – cinnamon is said to support collagen synthesis in the skin. Collagen is the main structural protein in your skin. When you have enough collagen in places like your lips and other soft areas, it prevents sagging, wrinkles, and creasing.
- Protect your lips from free radicals – cinnamon also has antioxidant properties that help to fight free radicals and protect your skin from environmental damage. This can further prevent wrinkles and signs of aging while maintaining healthy lips.
- Make your lips pinker – some researchers think that cinnamon can possibly inhibit tyrosine in the skin, which would help with hyperpigmentation in the lips. Many people use it for this purpose and claim to see results. However, there are no official clinical studies to prove this theory.
How To Use Cinnamon To Plump Lips
Both cinnamon spice and cinnamon oil can either be mixed into DIY recipes for lips or they can be found in commercial lip products.
One simple recipe is to mix 1 teaspoon of cinnamon powder with 1 teaspoon petroleum jelly and then apply it onto your lips. Let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it off.
I have tons of other recipes so keep on reading.
When To Use
I recommend using cinnamon treatments just before getting ready to go out and before doing your lip routine so that you can make full use of the pout.
If you are not going out, and you do not need that pouty look, I do not suggest that you use cinnamon on your lips every day. The lip-plumping effects are temporary anyway.
How Often To Use
However, how often commercial lip care products and DIYs can be used depends on their formulation.
Lip balms or lip gloss can also be used every day if your skin can tolerate them. Lip scrubs, on the other hand, should only be used 1-2 times per week as you do not need to exfoliate your lips every day.
How Long To Leave It On
How long you will need to leave cinnamon spice or cinnamon oil on your lips will depend on what kind of treatment it is.
For example, lip balms can be left on all day, but lip scrubs will need to be washed off after a few minutes.
I also do not recommend leaving cinnamon treatments on your lips overnight. The skin of your lips is thin and sensitive. Leaving cinnamon on your lips all night can cause irritation or even minor chemical burns that you might not see, but your lips will definitely feel.
Best Commerical Cinnamon Lip Plumping Products
While there aren’t many brands and products containing organic cinnamon for the lips that I trust, here are a couple of products I really liked:
1- Living Libations Cinnamon Hot Lover Lips Lip Balm
Living Libations Cinnamon Lip balm not only works to plump your lips it also help to hydrates the lips. Giving you that subtle pout whilst keeping your lips healthy!
2- Diva Stuff Cinnamon & Clove Lip Scrub
This scrub contains castor jelly, sugar, vegetable jelly, castor oil, clove oil, cinnamon oil, lip plump peptide, sweet almond oil, vitamin E, sugar, and beet powder for color.
Its natural ingredients make it safe for your lips and safe for you in case you ingest some. However, I recommend keeping this in the fridge.
Best DIY Cinnamon Lip Plumper Recipes
1- Cinnamon & Sugar Lip Scrub
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- Mixing bowl
- Mix all your ingredients in your mixing bowl until well combined. You should have a slightly thick paste.
- Apply the paste to your clean lips.
- Gently massage your lips with the paste for 5-10 minutes.
- Then wash your lips off, pat dry, and apply your lip balm.
2- Cinnamon & Salt Lip Scrub
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Mixing Bowl
- Mix the cinnamon and olive oil until well combined in your mixing bowl.
- Add the salt and gently mix until well incorporated.
- Apply the paste to your clean lips and very gently massage them for 2-5 minutes.
- Wash your lips off, pat dry, and follow up with your lip balm.
1- Cinnamon & Vaseline Lip Mask
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder or 2-3 drops of cinnamon oil
- 1 teaspoon Vaseline
- Mixing bowl
- Mix the vaseline with the cinnamon powder or the cinnamon oil in your mixing bowl until well combined.
- Apply evenly onto your clean lips and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Gently wipe the mask off and follow up with a lip balm and/or your lipstick.
Video: of How to Use Vaseline and Cinnamon to Plump Lips
2- Cinnamon & Cayenne Pepper Lip Mask
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon oil or powder
- 1 drop of peppermint essential oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon almond or coconut oil
- Mixing bowl
- In your mixing bowl, combine the cinnamon powder and the cayenne pepper. Mix until well combined.
- If you are using cinnamon oil, add it in with the other oils instead.
- Add the peppermint oil and the almond/coconut oil to the powder in your bowl.
- Mix all the ingredients together until well combined.
- Apply the mixture to your clean lips and gently massage for 2-5 minutes.
- Wash your lips off, pat dry, and apply your lip balm.
1- Cinnamon & Shea Butter
- 1 teaspoon shea butter
- 2-3 drops cinnamon leaf oil
- Mixing bowl
- Mix your ingredients until well combined.
- Apply the mask to your clean lips and let it sit for a few minutes.
- You can also leave this on your lips as your lip balm (but not overnight), or you can wipe it off.
2- Cinnamon & Beeswax Lip Balm
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon oil
- 1 teaspoon beeswax
- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- Mixing Bowl that can be microwaved
- Small storage container
- Add your olive oil and beeswax to your mixing bowl and put them in the microwave for a few minutes to melt them.
- When it is finished, add your cinnamon oil to the mixture, stir well, and then transfer the mixture to your storage jar.
- Let the mixture cool. It should be semi-solid at room temperature.
- Use this as your regular lip balm.
A simple but effective way to use cinnamon to plump your lips if you do not have the time for DIYs is to just add a few drops of cinnamon oil to your favorite lip gloss! You can use this on the go and still get that added plump.
Side Effects Of Using Cinnamon On Lips
The most common side effects associated with using cinnamon on lips are irritation and allergic reactions.
Cinnamon is well known for being slightly irritating to sensitive skin. In some people, this can be worse than anticipated.
Irritation of the lips can present as tingling that does not go away, burning, pain or discomfort, redness, and excessive swelling.
Keep in mind that cinnamon normally causes a tingling feeling on your lips, but it should not be overwhelming nor should it hurt, and it should stop after a few minutes. Additionally, even though your lips are expected to look plump, they should not look overly swollen.
Irritation is also much more common when using Cinnamon essential oil, which is very concentrated. Apply cinnamon oil directly on your lips without diluting it can cause chemical burns.
You must know how to dilute it and recognize the early signs of irritation when the amount of cinnamon oil you are using is too much for your skin.
Allergic reactions from consuming cinnamon (off of your lips) include mouth tingling, itching, swelling of the tongue, stomach pain, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. If you begin to experience any of these, wash the cinnamon application off and seek medical attention immediately.
I recommend that you always do a patch test to see how your lips and your body will react before using cinnamon all over your lips.