Traditionally, Lip liners were mainly applied to prevent the unwanted spreading of lipstick or lip gloss.
But recently, lip liners have been the go-to product, used to give lips a fuller-looking appearance. This is because lip liners are affordable, don’t tingle or irritate lips, and are temporary, unlike other lip plumping products. Citation.
To learn more about lip liners and why you should use them, you can click here to read about the benefits of using a lip liner.
Can a Lip Liner Make Your Lips Look Bigger
If applied correctly a lip liner paired with a lipstick or lip gloss will create the illusion of bigger lips. This is done by applying the lip liner along the edge of your lips. Citation.
A lip liner can make your lips look bigger and more defined by:
1- Creating a sharp, clean lip border that separates your lips from the rest of your skin which makes them stand out more.
2- When you contour your lips with a lip pencil before lip color application, your lips will appear more prominent.
This is especially true when you use a lip liner that has a darker color than the lipstick, gloss, or tint used. This is because the darker liner will add a stronger color impact, which will in turn give your lips visibly more volume.
3- If you have thin lips you can overline them with a lip pencil before filling in lip color, for a plumping effect.
Using a lip liner is a popular method used by persons with thin lips because it is so easy to overdraw and create a plumper shape for your lips.
Related Articles –
How to Use Lip Liner to Make Lips Look Bigger
There are 2 different methods to apply lip liners, which one you use depends on if you are trying to either:
- Make thin lips look bigger
- Or just enhance full lips
Related Article: Best Lip Liners for Dark & Brown Skin that Blends Well
1- How to Make thin lips look bigger with a lip liner
If you have thin lips and want to know how to make them seem larger, using a lip liner, follow the method below.
This method uses a combination of overlining as well as contouring lips to create plumpness.
Related Article – Tips on How to Pick a Lip liner & What is the Best Color for You
Step 1: Prep Lips
First, Exfoliate lips to remove dead skin and increase the blood flow to the lips. This action of rubbing lips will also help to plump them in the process. You can use a lip scrub or toothbrush to exfoliate lips.
You should also ensure that lips are properly moisturized by using a lip balm, oil, or Vaseline regularly.
Related Article: How to use Peppermint Oil for Plumper Lips & Is it Safe
Step 2: Contour with a bronzer
Contour lips using a bronzer. Using a flat brush, add the bronzer directing under lips to create a shadow or a dimension. This will automatically make the bottom lips look thicker.
Next, apply a small amount of the bronzer to the sides of the bottom lips.
Related Article: 7 Tips How to use a Lip Liner or Pencil as a Lipstick
Step 3: Line lips
Make sure that your lip liner is properly sharpened before you begin to line your lips. And choose a lip liner that is two shades darker then your lip color.
- Using steady strokes, overline the topmost point of the upper lips (cupid’s bow) and lower lips.
- Join the center of the lips with the lip liner to the corners of the lips, but follow the natural lip lines when lining the edges and corners of the lips.
- Ensure that the new lip line is well defined and prominent.
- Using a flat brush diffuse the liner into the lips for a more natural looking lip border.
- You can check out the video to see exactly how its done.
Video of How to Use Lip Liners to Make Thin Lips Look Bigger
Step 4: Apply Lipstick
Fill in the lips using either a matte or liquid lipstick. Don’t use any gloss because they will emphasize the borders. Use the flat brush to blend the lipstick with the lip liner.
Related Article – 6 Best DIY Ways to Plump Lips Without Botox or Fillers
Step 5: Use Gloss
Add a gloss to the center of the lips for some shine and plumpness. Keep the gloss within the borders of the lips.
Step 6: Apply Concealer
Use a concealer to clean up the edges of the lip borders and remove any smudged lipstick or liner.
2 – How to enhance full lips with lip liner
This method of overlining your lips with a lip liner works best if you already have a full pout but would like some extra plump or definition to your natural lips. Watch the video to see a step by step demonstration.
Step 1: Prep lips
Prep your lips by using a lip scrub or a tooth brush to remove dead skin cells. This step will also add plumpness to the lips since it activates the blood flow to the lips.
Step 2: Apply the lip liner
Select a lip liner one to two shades slightly darker than the lip color you are planning on using. This helps with creating more dimension to lips. And make sure your lip pencil is properly sharpened .
- Since your natural lips have some volume to it, overline only in the center of the lips using light pressure.
- Apply the liner slightly above your natural cupid bow, but when lining the lips, coming down on the edges keep the lip liner on the natural border of the lips.
- Drag the lip liners down towards the lips before blending it outwards with your fingertips or lip brush.
- For the bottom lips, repeat the steps by staying true to the natural edges of your lips while slightly overlining the center.
To make your lipstick last even longer, use the lip liner to color in your lips within the contour.
Video of How to line your lips to make them plumper
Step 3: Apply a matte lipstick
Finally, apply the lipstick of your choice. For best results use a matte lipstick because they will not cause the lip liner to blur or smudge. And the overlining will remain in place.
This is optional, but you can apply a gloss only in the center of the lips, choose a gloss shade one or two lighter than the color of the lip liner you used.
Finally, add a bit of highlighter at the top of the cupid’s bow for a additional emphasis to the lips.
Best lip liner to make lips look bigger
There are so many varieties of lip liners on the market. But for a beginner lip liner user, I would recommend;
The NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP Slim Lip Pencil. This affordable lip liner comes in a large variety of shades so there will be one to suit, no matter your preference.
Most importantly it applies seamlessly to skin and resists bleeding lip colors. Click here to view the current price of NYX slim lip pencil on Amazon.
Other Ways to Plump Lips
Now if you are looking for alternatives ways to plump your lips other than lip liners you can try one of the following:
- Exfoliating lips with a lip scrub will remove dead skin ells and get the blooding flowing in your lips. This will lead to a temporary plumping effect.
- Moisturizing lips will help to eliminate dry skin and lines in the lips, leading to more voluminous lips.
- Lip plumper glosses– these are lip glosses that plump lips by irritating them, moisturizing them or by building collagen within the lips. These are also non-invasive products that work for a short period of time. Click this link to learn more about lip plumping gloss.
- Using electronic stimulation and suction devices, such as JuvaLips increases blood flow to the lips causing your lips to increase in size and color.
- Lip filler – The most common of the hyaluronic acid injectables are Juvederm and Restylane, because the effects are reversible.