Lip liners are the unsung hero of the makeup world. They play an important role in creating the perfect makeup look, But it is essential to choose colors that will flatter your skin tone.
Now, if you have dark or brown skin tones, choosing lip colors that look great can be challenging.
This is because many colors tend to wash out or dull your complexion and won’t cover pigmentation on your lips. Choosing the right color lip liner shade will help to add vibrancy to your lips and your overall appearance.
This article will give you all the best color lip liner that will compliment your dark or brown skin, and make your lips look outstanding.
Best Lip Liner Color for Dark Skin
These lip liners are the perfect choice for anyone with a deeper skin tone or dark skin and a warm undertone.
- NYX Slim Lip Pencil – Expresso (Affordable & Goes with most dark skin tones)
- Huda Beauty Rich Brown (Really long-lasting)
- Colourpop Bff3 (mid-tone brown)
- Anastasia Beverly Hills in Cherry (Great as a base for red lipsticks )
- Makeup Forever- 11c Dark Raspberry (Purple tone)
- Juvia Place-Kola (chocolatey brown color)
- Nars Color Precision-Mariachi (brick red)
- Charlotte Tilbury’s Lip Cheat- Foxy Brown (natural looking lip color)
- L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect Anti-Feathering Lip Liner, Rich Cranberry (mature skin)
- Mac Chestnut
1. NYX Slim Lip Pencil – Expresso
The Nyx Slim Pencil lip liner in the shade expresso is perfect for darker skin tones since it has a rich dark brown color that outlines the lip shape perfectly.
The formula is soft and long-wearing, plus it applies easily and resists bleeding. It’s perfect to pair with your favorite nude lipstick or a clear gloss. The cost of this lip liner is also very affordable and there are many shades available.
2. Huda Beauty Rich Brown Lip liner
Huda beauty rich brown, matte lip pencil has a retractable tip and ultra-glide formula that effortlessly defines your lips. Perfect for dark skin tones this rich brown formula is vegan, waterproof, and lasts up to 6 hours.
3. Colourpop Bff3
Colourpop Bff3 is a deeper nude lip liner that looks like a mid-toned brown on the lips of anyone with a dark skin tone.
It has a creamy formula that is perfect for defining lips or wearing as an all-over lip color to cover lip pigmentation. Plus this color pop lip liner is affordable and can be used every day.
4. Anastasia Beverly Hills Lip Liner in Cherry
Anastasia Beverly Hills lip liner in the shade cherry has a creamy (but not shiny & slippery) formula that glides on for a velvet-matte finish. The high-payoff formula can be worn all over your lips for a long-lasting, velvety-matte look.
The shade Cherry is a bright red that is easily blended and is great as a base for red lipsticks or to prevent feathering.
This formula is: Cruelty-Free, Vegan, Paraben-Free, Phthalates-Free, Sulfate-Free, Mineral Oil-Free, Alcohol-Free, Petrolatum-Free, Lanolin-Derivate-Free, Preservative-Free, Dermatologist Tested.
5. Make Up For Ever-11 C Dark Raspberry
Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip Liner is a waterproof, extremely long-lasting lip liner. This deep purple shade is perfect for dark skin tones. It shapes and defines the lips, and is ideal for use with any of your favorite lipsticks or glosses.
Plus it has vitamin E and jojoba wax, which makes application easier.
Now the main issue with Make Up For Ever Lip liners is that they can be expensive, you can click here to see the current price on Amazon.
6. Juvia Place-Kola (chocolatey brown color)
Juvia’s Place Luxe Lip Liner is a chocolatey brown long-wearing pencil that glides seamlessly to define and fill in the lips. This brown shade is universally flattering to dark skin tones. It can be worn with clear gloss or with any of your favorite colors.
7. Nars Color Precision-Mariachi
Nars lip pencil in the shade Mariachi-is a highly pigmented wooden lip liner pencil that sharply defines lips with smooth, comfortable, budge-proof precision. The shade Mariachi is a wonderful brick red that is sure to flatter most dark skin tones.
8. Charlotte Tilbury’s Lip Cheat in the shade Foxy Brown
Charlotte Tilbury lip liner in the shade foxy brown is a suede brown Lip Liner that adds a natural-looking lip color to anyone with a darker brown complexion. It adds a natural look of my lips but is better. It also:
- Smooths over lip texture for a super seamless line.
- Has a waterproof formula so there is no feathering or transferring for a flawless pout all day.
- Lasts up to 6 hours without smudging
You can click here to see the Charlotte Tilbury lip liner in the shade foxy brown
9. L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect Anti-Feathering Lip Liner, Rich Cranberry
If you have a dark brown complexion Try the L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect Lip Liner in Rich Cranberry. This shade is a dark maroon-red color that will stand out on its own or used along with a gloss.
- It is specially formulated for mature skin to shape and define lips, this lip liner enhances natural lip contour with a transfer-free, anti-feathering formula.
- Suitable for sensitive lips
- Easy Application: The carefully crafted applicator features a soft tip for smooth application and allows for precision without the tugging
To check out the current price on Amazon click here L’Oreal Paris Age Perfect Lip Liner in Rich Cranberry
10. Mac Chestnut
Mac Lip Pencils have a smooth, creamy texture that is perfect for outlining lips or coloring them in. The shade chestnut is a great intense brown for creating a bold lip look or just outlining the lips before filling them in with clear gloss.
To check out the Mac Chestnut, click here.
Best Lip Liner Recommendations for Medium Brown Skin Tone
These are the best choices in lip liner for anyone with medium brown skin tone:
- NYX slim lip liner pencil- nutmeg (medium brown with red undertone)
- Maybelline Rich Chocolate Lip Liner – (a dark brown for outlining lips)
- Wet n Wild Chesnut Lip Liner (Affordable)
- Mac Lip Liner – Spice (medium brown with orange undertone)
- Make Up For Ever Artist Color Pencil – Limitless Brown (eye, lip, and brow pencil)
- Colourpop lip liner- Bossy (red lip liner)
- Mented Cosmetics Nude LaLa Matte Lipstick Duo (burgundy red)
- Mac Lip Liner Soar (pink undertone)
- Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat in Hot Gossip (premium brand)
- Marc Jacobs Lip Liner- oh cocoa (long-lasting wear time)
1. NYX slim lip liner in nutmeg
NYX slim lip liner pencil in the shade nutmeg is perfect for medium brown complexions. It is a mid-tone brown with a reddish undertone, the perfect nude for tan to medium brown skin.
This formula is also affordable and has a soft application that resists bleeding.
2. Maybelline New York Lip Liner Rich Chocolate
The Maybelline lip liner in rich chocolate is a deep brown shade perfect for outlining the lips. It can also be used to make light nude lipsticks more wearable on darker skin tones.
It is also a self-sharpening liner, so no sharpener is necessary. The formula is a creamy, no-smudge base perfect for preventing lipstick bleeding and feathering
3. Wet n Wild Color Icon Lip Liner Pencil- Chestnut
If you are looking for a lip liner that won’t break the bank but still works well, try the Wet n Wild Color Icon Lip Liner in the color- Chestnut.
This rich, creamy formula is packaged in a pencil form and makes sure your lip color doesn’t bleed. The shade Chestnut is an orangish brown color that looks great on medium brown-tan complexions.
4. Mac Lip Liner- Spice
MAC Spice lip liner is a very warm-toned, medium-dark brown with a matte finish. This lip liner has a smooth, creamy texture that won’t skip or drag and applies quickly and precisely.
It can be used on its own or along with another nude lip color like Mac Velvet Teddy Lipstick or Mac Honey Love Lipstick.
5. Make Up For Ever Artist Color Pencil – Limitless Brown
This Makeup For Ever Pencil is one of a kind as it is safe for lining eyes and lips, contouring, filling in brows, and more. Plus this color is richly-pigmented with a matte finish that glides on smoothly and blends seamlessly.
The shade limitless brown is perfect for pairing with a nude lipstick or creating an ombre style color with red lipstick.
To check out the Make Up For Ever Color Pencil- Limitless Brown click here
6. Colourpop lip liner- Bossy
Colourpop lip liner in the shade Bossy is a red lip liner that is perfect for medium brown to tan skin color. Plus it has a
- Cream based finish
- Smudge proof
- Prevents Feathering
- Highly pigmented
- Has to be sharpened
7. Mented Nude LaLa Matte Lipstick Duo
Mented Cosmetics Velvet matte in the shade Nude la la is a nude lip shade with the perfect blend of reds, browns and pinks to enhance your multi-hued lips. All lipsticks are vegan, paraben-free, non-toxic, cruelty-free, and proudly made in the USA.
8. Mac Lip Liner- Soar
Mac Lip Liner in the shade soar is described as being a dirty rose color or a darker pink to purple shade. Its muted shade means that it can be worn by itself as a lip color or with a darker lipstick for more intense pigment.
9. Charlotte Tilbury Lip Cheat in Hot Gossip
Charlotte Tilbury is a premium brand that makes some of the best lip liners on the market today. This nourishing, velvety-rich formula is the key to creating fuller, wider, perfected lips. Plus it lasts up to 6 hours with no smudging and has a waterproof formula.
Its shade Hot Gossip is great for any skin tone and can be described as a Tawny Rose Pink Lip Liner or a neutral nude with a touch of pink.
10. Marc Jacobs Lip Liner- oh cocoa
Marc Jacobs lip liner in the shade oh cocoa is a gel-based liner, used to define and shape your lips. They are also formulated with collagen to help fill in lines and prevent feathering.
The formula glides on flawlessly for all-day wear. It also has a twist up application, so there is no need to sharpen the liner.
The shade Oh Cocoa is a warm pink brown shade that will flatter medium brown skin tone.