Using a Lip Tint is one of the best and most durable ways to make your lips look amazing.
So in this article, we are going to explore Lip Tints in detail and explain what it is and how to correctly use them.
What is a Lip Tint?
A Lip tint is a cosmetic that applies a sheer natural-looking color all over lips. Lip tints are mostly liquid because they are made from a water-based formula along with pigments. Tints have a mostly sheer or matte finish.
Uses For Lip Tint
Lip Tints are used for:
- Creating a natural-looking, long-lasting color all over lips.
- Creating the gradient or ombré lip style because lip tints have buildable coverage. The gradient lip style is a brighter color on the inside of the lips that fades as you get closer to the edge of the lips.
- Covering discoloration on lips. But the level of coverage will generally vary with each type of tint.
- Some lip tints are a multipurpose lip product and can be used as a blush on cheeks, for contouring, and as eye shadow.
How long does a Lip Tint last
How long a lip tint will last on your lips will vary depending on the brand as well as how often you eat or drink while wearing it. On average a lip tint will last a maximum of 6 hours if applied correctly with minimal smudging.
How to Apply a Lip Tint
Follow these steps to properly apply a lip tint.
STEP 1: Allergy Test
It is very important to do an allergy test on your hands before trying any new products on your face. Once your skin shows no signs of irritation you can move on to the next steps.
Step 2: Cleanse your lip
Gently remove any other lip products from your lips.
Step 3: Exfoliate
Next, you should remove any dry or dead skin on the lips by exfoliating using a lip scrub.
To do this take your favorite lip scrub on dry fingers, then massage it over your lips in circular motions. Then rinse the lips with lukewarm water to remove the lip scrub.
Step 4: Moisturize
Apply a moisturizing lip balm to moisturize and soften lips. It will also help to lessen the appearance of dried cracked lines on the lips. Leave the moisturizer for 5-10 minutes on your lips, then wipe it away.
Step 5: Line your Lips
This step is optional, but if you want your lips to appear larger you can line your lips. This step will not only make your lips look more prominent but will help keep the liquid formula of the tint inside the lip line.
Step 6: Apply the Lip tint
Finally, begin applying the lip tint carefully, start by using the applicator to place the tint in the center of your lower lips. Diffuse the tint by smacking lips together.
Do this from the middle to the outer edges of your lips, following the contour of your mouth. Then, glide across the top lip and fill in. If your tint is too intense blot your lips on a tissue. Reapply when necessary.
How to Apply Lip Tint for the Gradient Effect
- To create the gradient effect, apply a generous amount of lip tint to the center of the bottom lips,
- Then diffuse using the smacking motion.
- Next, you may use a lighter shade of tint color or the same color but with a concealer to blur the outer lip line to get the ombre effect.
Related Article – DIY Beetroot Lip Stain, Tint & Lip Balm – Natural Recipes
How to Use Lip tints on Dark Lips
When you have dark, pigmented, or uneven lip color, using a sheer lip tint without following the proper steps can result in your lip color not showing up and looking patchy, dry, and washed out.
To apply lip tints to dark lips, you need foundation or concealer to change lips to a neutral base, this will help the lip tint color to be more pronounced.
You should also choose tint colors that are darker in pigment as they will show more on the lips and be more flattering on the skin tone. To properly apply lip tints on dark lips follow these steps for maximum pigment and a longer-lasting wear time.
Steps to Applying Lip Tints on Dark or Discolored Lips
- Once you’ve tested the lip tint for allergy or irritation. Proceed to cleanse the lips by removing any lip products.
- Next, apply your favorite lip scrub to remove dry skin from the lips, which will ensure a smooth look on the lips. Remove the scrub completely.
- Moisturize lips using your favorite lip balm. Allow the balm to sit for a few minutes before removing.
- This is the most important step in ensuring the tint is applied properly. Apply concealer or foundation to your lips to even out the lip’s tone and neutralize lip color.
- Set the concealer or foundation with a small drop of setting powder.
- Using gentle strokes, apply lip liner to the lip line.
- Lastly, apply the tint to the bottom center of the lips. Move lips in a smacking motion to diffuse the tint. Use the applicator to touch up any spots that need more color.
- Blot your lips, if you desire a more matte finish and reapply when necessary.
Video of How To Apply Lip Tints on Dark Skin
Are Lip Tints Good for the Lips
Lip tints can be very beneficial to lips because they use a lightweight formula that has moisturizing ingredients in them.
Newer lip tints don’t feel dry on the lips or dry out the lips, so there’s no cracking or creasing. They offer smooth color and full coverage with a quick drying finish.
Depending on the brand, many tints are enriched with oils, shea butter, and Vitamin E that will nourish lips and help them be healthy while providing a natural-looking color and finish.