I love lipsticks, especially the cream stick ones. But, like so many of us, I struggle to make some of them stay in place for as long as I need them (usually hours).
So, I wanted to share my discovery of lipstick sealers with you all. The makeup industry has, quite literally, found a way to make a sealer for your lip products!
What are LipStick Sealers
As the name suggests, lipstick sealers are liquid products that seal your lipstick onto your lips to prevent smudging, bleeding, and transferring onto other surfaces.
Lipstick sealers are usually clear so that the color of your lipstick is not changed. However, some brands incorporate tiny flecks of glitter to give them something extra.
Most of them are sold along with the lipstick they are intended to be used with. But, some are sold separately and can be used on almost any lipstick (be sure to read the direction and specifications on the package to confirm what kinds of lipsticks they can be used with).
Commercially, most lipstick sealers come in small bottles with brushes (almost like nail polish). The brush makes application easier to control how much you are using and keep the product within your lip lines. The brush is less likely to remove much of your lipstick during application.
Another great way to extend the wear time of your lipstick is to use a Lip Primer, click here to learn more.
Related Article – 7 Tips on How to Keep Lipstick & Gloss on While Eating
Benefits of Lipstick Sealers
- Prevents smudging and bleeding of your lipsticks
- Helps your lipstick to stay in place for much longer (many lipstick sealers prolong your lipstick wear from an hour or two to 8+ hours!). This will, however, slightly vary depending on just what you do with your lips.
- Prevents transferral of your lipstick onto other surfaces, skin, or clothes
- Enhances the vibrancy of your lipsticks and keeps it looking vibrant
- Prevents the need for constant reapplication
- Some Lipstick sealers even keep your lipstick intact even when eating
- Many are waterproof so that you can drink beverages and play in the rain (if you really need to) without losing lip color
How To Apply Lipstick Sealers
Lipstick sealers are applied after your lipstick, like lipgloss.
- Simply apply your lip liner and then your lipstick like you normally would.
- Let them set for a few minutes.
- Then apply your lipstick sealer over the lipstick, staying within your lips lines.
- Let the sealer set and dry.
Related Articles –
Best Brands Of Lipstick Sealers To Use
1- ARTDECO MAGIC FIX Lip Sealer
ArtDeco Lip sealer covers your lips and preserves your lipstick color for a longer time. Bergamot oil, which has a balancing and relaxing effect on the lips, is a great addition to the formula.
It also has lavender oil, which deeply soothes and nourishes the lips. This lips sealer’s formula stops it from seeping into your lips’ small wrinkles and imperfections or transferring onto hard surfaces.
The rapidly drying solution ideally forms a barrier around your lips to prevent blurring or bleeding of the lip color.
You can learn more in the video Below
2- Simplexion Stay On Lipstick Seal
Simplexion’s formula is a lightweight, fragrance-free composition, enriched with botanical ingredients. It keeps your lip color in place all day and night.
When used, it enhances the color of your lipstick rather than changing it and provides hours of freshness and smudge-freeness. You can use it on top of your lipstick, lip gloss, or lip color.
3- Lip Lock Lipstick Sealer
Lip Lock lipstick sealer lets your lipstick last all day by extending its lifespan. Its invisible, transparent solution dries fast and does not leave any tacky or sticky residue on your lips.
You may wear vibrant colors with confidence thanks to the creamy, moisturizing, and long-lasting consistency of this lipstick sealer.
It is a bit on the pricey side, but many makeup artists swear by this stuff when prepping their clients for long hours of gorgeous lips.
What to Do Without a Lipstick Sealer – Alternative Method
In case you cannot get your hands on a lipstick sealer, here are a few tips that can help you to prevent your lipstick from smudging:
- Prep your lips well by moisturizing them before applying any lip products. A good surface will hold your lipstick better.
- Line your lips with a lip pencil, then use the same lip pencil to color the rest of your lips. This will help to smoothen the base and hold the lipstick better.
- Apply your lipstick and let it set for a little bit.
- Take a small blending brush and gently brush some translucent finishing powder over your lips. You only need a very small amount of powder. Use the brush to diffuse and blend it out.
- Then place a tissue between your lips and press them together to remove excess lipstick and powder. This will help to set your lipstick in place.
On the other hand, you can also opt to apply a concealer over and at the outer edges of your lips before applying lipstick and/or use a setting spray for your face after you have applied your lipstick. It will set your lips along with the rest of your face.
Related Article – Is a Lip Liner Really Needed – Everything you Need to Know
Side Effects Of Lipstick Sealers
Unless you are allergic or sensitive to one or more of the ingredients in a lipstick sealer, there are no significant side effects associated with its use.
Lipstick sealers will sit on top of your lip products. So as long as the two products work well together and they do not cause irritation or an allergic reaction, you should be good to go!