Lip color can vary from person to person, much like skin tone. No one lip color is healthier than any other.
However, most people prefer that their lips to be lighter and have a pink tone.
Now one of the most common remedies for dark lips that is both easy to obtain and use is Turmeric.
If your dark lips are caused by smoking you can click here to learn 8 ways to lighten them.
How Does Turmeric Treat Dark Lips (Benefits)
Turmeric gets its fame because of Curcumin, which is its bioactive ingredient. Curcumin has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
The Curcumin in Turmeric:
- Gives the skin a glow and some luster
- Inhibits melanin production
- Protects the lips from free radicals that damage the skin
- Improves circulation to the lips
All of these help to treat the lips, making them healthier, lighter, and eventually pinker.
Some other amazing ways to lighten your lips are:
How To Use Turmeric On Dark Lips (Easy DIY remedies)
Turmeric is usually applied to the lips as a mask or scrub.
Here are a few great DIY Turmeric remedies you can use to treat your dark lips:
1- DIY Turmeric Lip Scrub
- Ground Turmeric Powder
- Granulated Sugar
- Brown sugar
- Almond oil or coconut oil
- essential Oil
How to Make a Turmeric Lip Scrub
How to Apply a Turmeric Lip Scrub
- Rinse your lips with warm water
- Then apply scrub with your fingertips
- Scrub in a circular motion and move inward
- Leave on for 5 minutes then rinse thoroughly with warm water
- Pat lips dry & apply moisturizer
- Repeat 2-3 times per week.
Lip Scrubs need to be used correctly so I recommend reading my article: How Often to Use a Lip Scrub: Tips How to use For Nicer Lips
2- Turmeric and Milk (or Yoghurt) Mask
- Milk or Plain Yoghurt
- Mix 1 tbsp of turmeric with the milk to make a thick paste
- Then spread the turmeric paste over your lips and then gently rub the paste into your lips
- Leave the paste on the lips for 4-6 minutes.
- Finally, wash off the paste with clean water.
Video of How to Mix Milk & Turmeric for Lips
Video Showing Different Turmeric Lip Mask Recipes
3- DIY Turmeric Lip Balm
- 1 tsp of glycerin
- 2 tsp of vaseline
- 1 tsp of honey
- Essential Oil (I prefer tea tree oil)
- Combine the vaseline, glycerin, honey, turmeric, and essential oil together well in a container
- Put the paste into the fridge for 3-4 hours
- This turmeric lip balm will last for around 10 days and you can use it every day
Related Article: How to Use Almond Oil for Lips: Benefits, Cons & Recipes
Video of How to Use Turmeric Lip Mask for Dry & Chapped Lips
Best Turmeric Lip Products
1- Turmeric Lip Scrub
This readymade turmeric lip scrub is great for chapped lips, smokers’ lips, discoloration of the lips, and most skin types. It is also made from all-natural ingredients, making it non-toxic.
2- Turmeric Lip Balm
This lip balm is a great natural Turmeric lip balm that will moisturize, heal damaged cells, and rejuvenate your lips to make them softer and plumper.
It will work on chapped lips, smoker’s lips, damaged and dry lips, discolored lips, and all types of skin.
FAQ When Using Turmeric on Lips
Can you leave turmeric on your lips overnight?
It is not recommended that you leave turmeric on your lips overnight.
Apart from staining your lips, the turmeric will eventually dry out your lips. And, if you have sensitive skin, your lips might be irritated.
Related Article: Lip Neutralization 101: What is It, What to Expect & Cost
How Often Can You Use Turmeric on Your Lips
This will vary depending on how you use the turmeric, if you use turmeric and milk together you can use it daily.
But if you use the tumeric scrub around 2 times a week.
Related Articles –
How long does turmeric take to lighten dark lips?
Generally, you should see visible lightening of your lips within 3-7 days of consistently using turmeric.
However, keep in mind that this time frame may vary for each person. How much lighter your lips become and how fast will depend on:
- How dark your lips are
- How damaged your lips are
- How sensitive your lips are
- Your consistency with the treatment
- How you use the turmeric and the concentration
Related Article: Lip Blushing 101: How long Does it Last, Costs, Pros & Cons
Can turmeric alone be used on your lips?
Turmeric is usually available in a powdered form. It can be applied to your lips alone, but it will be too drying.
The powder will draw the moisture from your lips. Therefore, it is best to mix turmeric with a moisturizing ingredient that will help it to penetrate the skin of the lips.
Turmeric alone may also be too intense for the delicate skin of your lips.
Can you have an allergic reaction to turmeric?
It is possible to have an allergic reaction to turmeric, but this is very rare.
In any case, you should always do a patch test before fully applying turmeric or any other remedies to your lips and skin.
Will turmeric cause your lips to get too dry?
Even though turmeric is known for its ability to treat dryness, it does so when mixed with other moisturizing ingredients.
However, if it is left on your lips too long and it dries out, it may pull moisture from your lips instead of adding.
Therefore, it is best to use turmeric on your lips for a short period at a time, and with ingredients that will not dry out quickly.
Is it safe to ingest turmeric when you apply it to your lips?
Turmeric is safe to ingest. As long as you are not allergic to turmeric. So if you get some on your tongue during your lip treatment, you have nothing to worry about.
Consuming turmeric has been shown to have multiple health benefits.
Risks Associated With Using Turmeric On Lips
Turmeric hardly ever produces side effects. However, like all topical treatments, there are a few possible side effects that can occur:
- Staining – Turmeric, if left on too long, can leave a yellow stain on your lips that is a little difficult to get off.
- Contact Dermatitis – If a person develops contact dermatitis, they may notice the following symptoms:
- burning, itching, stinging, or soreness
- flushed skin and inflammation
- scaly skin
- Allergic Reaction – this may be similar to contact dermatitis or you may notice hives. If you start to feel short of breath, nauseous, or dizzy, seek medical attention right away.
Skin Irritation – if you have super sensitive skin, applying pure turmeric to your skin may cause burns or irritation. It is best to always do a patch test and to combine it with a soothing ingredient.