Honey is a gold standard that has been used for centuries. People use it for everything from cooking, to religious rituals, to skincare and hair care.
Now Raw, unpasteurized honey has the most benefits for skin care, including lip care.
Can Honey Make Dark Lips Lighter and Pinker
Yes. Over time, honey can lighten dark lips and make them pinker.
Honey exfoliates the lips, moisturizes them, and gradually lightens them. Using honey consistently will make your lips much healthier and will maintain the pink color.
But this is much easier if you also control or limit habits or practices that contribute to lip darkness.
You can also use turmeric to lighten dark lips, click here to read how.
Benefits Of Honey For Lips
The lip is covered in the same kind of skin as our face, but it is much thinner and has less keratin.
However, honey, just like it can benefit the skin on our face and body, can also have tremendous benefits for the lips:
1- Exfoliates the lips
Honey is a great lip exfoliator. Since the skin of the lips is thin, the smooth consistency of honey makes it gentle enough to gradually remove dead skin cells without abrading the skin of the lips too much.
2- Fades darkness gradually
Apart from exfoliating and promoting healthy lip skin cell turnover, honey also contains trace amounts of hydrogen peroxide, which has lightening properties.
The amount of hydrogen peroxide in honey is very small, but with constant use, it can lighten your dark lips.
One of the best things you can do to have lighter lips is to correct exfoliate and scrub them, click here to read How to Use a Lip Scrub for lighter lips.
4- Moisturizes and Hydrates the lips
The enzymes in honey allow it to penetrate deep into the skin, between all the layers to deeply condition the skin and soften it by moisturizing it from within.
It is also a humectant, meaning that it pulls water from the air into the skin and holds it there, hydrating the layers. This is especially important for dry and/or chapped lips.
Related Articles –
5- Cleanses pores
Honey is antibacterial and makes a great cleanser for getting rid of dirt and debris, especially from sweat, lipstick, and makeup that can block pores.
And the skin just at the edge of your lips has a lot of pores that can get blocked and cause lip pimples. This can cause dark scars and marks on your lips, or cause the outer portion of your lips to darken.
6- Promotes healing & regeneration
Honey is anti-inflammatory. It promotes healing by reducing inflammation and nourishing the skin so that healthy skin cells can be regenerated and maintained. This is one of the things that helps to keep lips looking pink and healthy.
7- It is anti-aging
Honey has many great antioxidants which help to fight against free radicals that cause the skin of the lips to wrinkle and age. This is also one of the things that keep lips looking smooth, pink, and healthy.
How to Apply Honey on Lips to Make them Lighter
Honey can be applied to lips by itself or in lip treatments like scrubs, masks, or lip balms.
The most common way to use honey for lips is as an ingredient in a lip scrub or lip mask.
You can keep reading I am going to share with you some very easy yet effective DIY Recipes to use for your lips.
How long should honey be left on lips?
Honey can be left on lips for as long as you want, and it can be used indefinitely.
Honey is an all-natural, gentle, and hydrating ingredient. The longer you are able to keep it on your lips, the better.
How often should honey be used on lips?
If you are using honey as a lip treatment, you may use it as often as you would like. It can be used every day, or multiple times a day. However, this would depend on how you are using it.
If it is in a scrub, you should not exfoliate your lips too much. If it is in a hydrating mask, you can use it daily. However, if it is in a lip balm, you may use it as often as you want to (possibly multiple times a day).
One of the fastest way to lighten dark lips is to use lasers, click here to learn more about laser lip lightening.
Can honey be left on lips overnight?
Yes, honey can be left on your lips overnight.
However, the major concern for most people is that honey is sticky and rather sweet. This may get onto your face, clothes, and sheets, which can be a sticky mess.
Best DIY Honey Recipes For Lightening Dark Lips
1- Classic Honey Sugar Lip Scrub
- 2 Teaspoon Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Oil (optional and can be an oil of your choice)
- Mixing bowl
- Combine all your ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Mix together until you have a gritty paste.
- Apply to your lips and massage gently to exfoliate.
- Rinse off with warm water, pat dry, and apply a lip moisturizer or lip balm
- Repeat at least 3 times per week or daily for best results.
This mixture can be stored for up to 7 days in the fridge.
Additionally, this scrub can be customized using different oils, different physical exfoliators other than sugar, and other additions like essential oils or other ingredients like lemon, cinnamon, etc.
How do honey and sugar lighten lips
The honey gently exfoliates, while the sugar physically exfoliates the skin of the lips. The honey also hydrates and nourishes the lips to promote healthy skin cell turnover and healing. This will eventually even out the tone of the lips.
Here is a great DIY variation of the classic lip scrub:
2- Classic Honey Lipbalm
- 1 tablespoon grated beeswax
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin coconut oil
- A little dash of organic raw honey
- 2 capsules of vitamin E
- Melt down the beeswax in a double boiler
- Add in the coconut oil and honey and mix to combine well
- Add the 2 capsules of Vitamin E oil and blend all the ingredients together
- Transfer the mixture into your container and let it cool and solidify
- Apply to lips as often as needed
3- Hemp & Honey Lipbalm
- 1 teaspoon hemp oil
- 4 teaspoons almond oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 10g cocoa butter
- 10g beeswax
- 15g shea butter
- In a double boiler, melt the beeswax, cocoa, and shea butter together.
- Add the hemp oil and almond oil and stir until it turns into a well-mixed, liquid consistency.
- Add honey to this mixture and mix to combine.
- Blend the ingredients using a milk frother to make sure they combine well.
- Once it reaches medium-thick consistency, pour the balm into jars to set.
- Once solid, you may apply it to the lips as often as necessary.
4- Avocado & Honey Lip Mask
- 2 teaspoons of mashed avocado
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Mash up the avocado and put two teaspoons in a bowl.
- Add honey and mix to combine well.
- Apply to lips for 20 minutes.
- Rinse off with water, pat dry, and apply lip balm.
- Repeat daily or as often as necessary.
5- Rose & Honey Lip Mask
- 3 tablespoons of crushed dried rose petals or rose petal powder (a great source of vitamin c and a good hydrator)
- 1 tablespoon of unsweetened, plain yogurt (great lactic acid content)
- 1 tablespoon of honey (great for hydration, gentle exfoliation, and nourishment)
- Grind the rose petals in a small blender or coffee grinder. Pick out any large petal pieces.
- Mix the yogurt, honey, and rose petals into a small bowl until it forms a smooth paste.
- Apply the mask to your lips and leave it on for 15–20 minutes.
- Rinse off the lips, pat dry, and apply your lip balm afterward.
- Repeat daily or as often as necessary.
Are there any side effects of applying honey to lips?
Generally, there are no side effects related to the use of honey on the skin. However, you should be careful if you have:
- A pollen allergy
- An allergy to bee venom
- A celery allergy