Apple Cider Vinegar is used in cooking and as a natural remedy for a large variety of health complaints. The reason for its success as a remedy has to do with the way its chemical composition affects the body.
ACV has many beneficial properties, including antimicrobial and antioxidant effects. Much of the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar relies on the fruit acids that it contains, such as acetic acid and malic acid.
Now, this article will focus on how to use apple cider vinegar on your lips to make them look lighter and pinker.
Can you use Apple Cider Vinegar on Lips
Apple cider vinegar is considered safe for use on the lips. However, caution must be placed on the length of time it is allowed to stay on the lips.
And a skin safety test must be done before any application especially if you have sensitive skin. If the strength of the acid proves to be too strong, another alternative would be to dilute it to weaken its acidic content.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar help to lighten Dark Lips
Apple cider vinegar works well to lighten pigmentation on the lips. This is because apple cider vinegar is naturally slightly acidic. It contains a handful of fruit acids, including malic acid, which is a chemical exfoliator.
The malic acid in apple cider vinegar may help remove the outermost layer of lip skin. Using topical apple cider vinegar on the lips could exfoliate the outer layers of the lips, lightening pigmentation and helping rebalance the natural pH of the lips.
Additionally, apple cider vinegar has bleaching properties that work well as a natural remedy to ensure a uniform lip color. The acidic nature of apple cider vinegar balances the Ph of the lips helping to restore natural lips color.
How often can you use Apple Cider Vinegar on the Lips
Because apple cider vinegar has naturally acidic content, we would advise that you use it every other day diluted with water for a period of two weeks.
- If your lips are highly pigmented use the apple cider vinegar treatment for two weeks,
- then allow your lips to rest for 1 week.
- After resting the lips, you can commence using the apple cider vinegar treatment for an additional week.
It is also important to note that you might experience some mild tingling when it is applied to the lips, this is normal. But if any burning, swelling, or redness occurs, discontinue use. It is also important to do an allergy test on your arms before use.
Video Showing Before & After Using Apple Cider Vinegar on Lips
Can You Use Apple Cider Vinegar Everyday on Your Lips
Using it every day or undiluted might be too strong which could lead to irritation, particularly if you have sensitive lips.
How long will Apple Cider Vinegar take to lighten dark lips
Generally, most people will see results within 5 days after using an apple cider treatment.
But the time it takes for persons to see lightened lips from using the apple cider vinegar will vary from person to person depending on the amount of pigmentation on the lips.
Can I leave Apple Cider Vinegar on my lips over night
We would not advise leaving apple cider vinegar on the lips overnight. Since apple cider vinegar is acidic and the lips are very sensitive, leaving it for an extended period of time can lead to over-exfoliation. This over-exfoliation can lead to irritation
How Long Can You Leave Apple Cider Vinegar on your Lips
We would recommend leaving the diluted apple cider vinegar on for a period of 12 minutes on the lips.
This isn’t too long to over-exfoliate your lips. But still gives the ACV enough time to work on your lips.
How to use Apple Cider Vinegar on lips
Method 1- Apple Cider Vinegar lip lightener
This method is best used once a day, every other day, for 2 weeks.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and water in a bowl.
- For a single use on the lips, mix 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon water.
- Use a cotton ball to gently apply the mixture within the natural contours of the lips.
- Allow the mixture to sit on the lips for 12 minutes.
- Use a clean, wet cloth to gently wipe away the apple cider mixture from your lips.
- Optional after wiping away the vinegar, apply a little almond oil to your lips.
Related Article – Beetroot for Lighter & Pinker Lips- How to Use & Benefits
Method 2– Apple Cider Vinegar Scrub
This is a scrub with apple cider vinegar as a key ingredient. Use 3 times a week for 2 weeks.
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. sweet almond oil
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Using clean utensils to mix all the ingredients together.
- Apply to the lips, with clean fingers.
- Using gentle circular motions, rub the scrub into your lips.
- Allow the scrub to sit on the lips for 15 minutes.
- Wash away the scrub or wipe away with a clean cloth.
Click here to view our suggestion for apple cider vinegar sold on Amazon-The Bragg Organic Apple Cider Vinegar Beverage
Benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar on Lips
There are many benefits to using apple cider vinegar. However, more research is needed to fully grasp its impact on your health. Some of these benefits to your lips include:
- The Antibacterial properties, of apple cider vinegar, could help prevent skin infections and other skin conditions affecting the lips. The main substance in vinegar — acetic acid — can kill harmful bacteria or prevent them from multiplying on the lips.
- Apple cider vinegar could help rebalance the natural pH of the lips, improving the protective skin barrier.
- Antifungal properties in the vinegar can help treat fungal infections of the lips.
- Apple Cider Vinegar acts as a natural lightening agent and removes the pigmentation from the lips.
- The malic acid in apple cider vinegar may help remove the outermost layer of lips acting as a natural lip exfoliator.
Side Effects or risks of using Apple Cider Vinegar on lips
If used properly apple cider vinegar poses few risks once applied to the lips. However, severe irritation, peeling and burning may occur if you apply the vinegar directly on the lips without diluting it.
Another risk factor for increased side effects is also leaving the pure apple cider vinegar or even diluted vinegar for an extended period of time. Since apple cider vinegar is acidic and the lips extremely sensitive, leaving it on longer than advised can lead to over-exfoliation. This over-exfoliation can cause cracking, dryness and peeling.
To minimize side effects always do an allergy test before hands and never use pure undiluted apple cider vinegar directly on the lips.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar help with cracked lips
You should not use apple cider vinegar on cracked lips.
Though it has alkaline properties, apple cider vinegar is an acid. It should not be used full strength on the skin, particularly on open sores, or in dried, cracked areas like the lips.
Using apple cider vinegar on cracked lips can lead to serious burns, stinging, and aggravation- especially if the cracks are deep and bleed. Additionally, it may dry skin, causing distress and irritation. For help with cracked lips try using shea butter or coconut oil both of which will help with moisturizing of the lips.
For Better Options to treat Damaged Lips Check out: