Using botox and fillers and quick, long-lasting, and effective ways to plump your lips. But they are very invasive and come with their share of risks and side effects.
Now, thankfully they are ways to easily DIY plump your lips at home. While they will not be as long-lasting as Botox & fillers, they will do the trick temporarily and are much less invasive.
Best DIY Ways To Plump Lips
The best ways to plump lips without Botox & Fillers are to use:
- Cinnamon Lip Balm or Scrub
- Peppermint Oil
- A mixture of cayenne and olive oil
- Rubbing ice on the lips
- Lip Plumping Glosses
- Lip Plumping Masks and Scrubs
1- Use Cinnamon
Cinnamon works as a lip plumper because it irritates the skin on your lips causing blood to rush towards it making it bigger and redder.
Now they are 2 easy ways you can use cinnamon to plump your lips either as a lip balm or as a lip scrub.
Cinnamon Lip Balm
- Use a lip balm that you already have and melt it down.
- Add ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon oil and mix well.
- Transfer the mixture back to your container and allow it to cool down.
- It should be solid and ready to use again.
Cinnamon Lip Scrub
- In a clean mixing bowl, add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 1 teaspoon of white sugar.
- Then add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or sweet almond oil. You can also add some honey to this recipe if you’d like. You may need to add some more sugar for better scrubbing action.
- Mix until well combined.
- Apply to your clean lips and gently massage it around for 3-5 minutes. This will stimulate blood flow and remove dead skin cells, making your lips look pinker and fuller.
To learn more about Using Cinnamon to Plump Your Lips, Click here
Another trick to make your lips appear plumper is to use a lip liner to make your lips look bigger, click here to learn more.
2- Apply Peppermint Oil
You can apply peppermint oil directly to your lips, mixed in your lipgloss, in a DIY lip balm, or even in commercial lip products.
Click here to read all about How to use Peppermint Oil for Plumper Lips & Is it Safe.
3- Cayenne + Olive Oil
While this is an effective DIY lip-plumping remedy, I do recommend that you be very cautious when using this.
If your lips become irritated or start to burn, remove this right away and do not reapply.
Do not add more cayenne than recommended in the recipe. You may use less if you think that would be better for your lips.
- In a clean bowl, add 1 tablespoon of Olive oil.
- Sprinkle a small amount of cayenne pepper into the oil (¼ teaspoon).
- Mix well and then apply it onto your clean lips.
- Let it sit for a few minutes and then gently wipe it off.
- Moisturize your lips with your favorite lip balm afterward.
4- Rub Ice on Your Lips
This may sound strange because icing your lips constricts your blood vessels. However, when the ice is removed, the blood vessels dilate and blood rushed back to the lips, making your lips look smoother and plumper.
Simply rub an ice cube all over your lips for 2-3 minutes and then pat them dry. You will see an immediate difference. Moisturize your lips and then apply your lipgloss or lipstick as usual.
Click here to read more about Rubbing Ice on Lips: Benefits & Cons – What to Expect
5- Use a Lip Plumping Gloss
These glosses are usually made of ingredients that gently irritate the lips to increase blood flow to the skin there. This makes the lips look fuller and remains like that for as long as the irritation remains.
While this sounds iffy, they do not damage your lips. However, you do need to be careful when choosing which ones to use. Some may affect your lips more than others.
Click here to read all about what lip-plumping glosses are, their benefits and side effects, how to use them, what to do if you have a bad reaction to them, how long they last, and every other thing you will need to know:
Recommended Lip Plumping Glosses
You can check out these 3 great lip plumpers, click on the link to see them on Amazon.
E.l.f., Lip Plumping Gloss (menthol)
Too Faced Cosmetics Lip Injection Extreme (capsicum)
6- Use Lip Plumping Masks & Scrubs
Commercial lip-plumping masks and scrubs are usually formulated using ingredients that exfoliate the lips, hydrate them intensely, and improve circulation to the lips.
Many of the masks can be left on all day or all night, or for minutes to hours at a time, depending on your preference.
If you do not have the time to DIY or simply prefer to use trusted brands, here are a few great recommendations. Click on the links to view and purchase them on Amazon:
Cosmetic Lip Kits
These are usually made of us lipsticks, lip liners, and lip glosses that are used together to create the effect of having fuller, plumper lips.
Here are a few great recommendations. Click on the links to view and purchase them:
Another lip procedure that can make your lips look bigger is Lip Blushing, click here to learn more.