Onions are a pantry staple in many homes but did you know that they can also naturally help with improving the color of your lips?
In fact, onions can not only lighten lips but soften them as well- leading to healthier-looking lips.
So in this article, we will provide a step-by-step guide on how to improve dark lips using onions.
Can Onions help to make Lips Lighter and Pinker
Onions can make your lips pinker in the short term and also lighten them gradually over time. This is because raw onions have:
- A high level of Sulphur in them – which is a natural acid that when applied to the lips helps to exfoliate them and allow new healthier and lighter skin to grow.
- Sulphur also causes the lips to tingle which simulates increased circulation in the blood vessels of the lips. The increased circulation improves blood flow to the lips leading to the enhanced pinker color of the lips.
- Phytochemicals are also found in onion juice which is also a natural bleaching agent that helps to gradually lighten your lips.
- Vitamin C and Selenium: both are known to increase the brightness of your skin and lips.
- High amounts of antioxidants which help to prevent the aging of the lips.
However, more research is needed to properly analyze the exact effects of onions on the lips.
How often can you Safely use Onions on the Lips
Once the allergy test has been passed you can then commence the application. I would recommend using any mixture of onion juice and other ingredients 3 times a week for a month for best results in lightening pigmentation on the lips.
Related Article: How Often to Use a Lip Scrub: Tips How to use For Nicer Lips
Important Tip When Using Onions on Your Lips
Before trying onions on your lips. it is recommended that you find out if raw onion extract irritates your skin.
You can do a patch test by applying a small amount of onion juice to the inside of your wrist and waiting up to 24 hours to see if any redness or irritation appears. Then you can begin trying the onion mixture to lighten the lips.
However, if any signs of inflammation are seen, you should discontinue use, and try reading up on some of these other great lip-lightening methods such as;
How long will onions take to lighten Lips
If used regularly, (3 times a week) there will be improved lip color in a month. This time frame may vary from person to person depending on the amount of pigmentation on the lips.
Another way to quicken the effectiveness of the onion juice is to make a mixture using onion juice and other natural skin lighteners such as lemon or lime juice.
Video Showing how to use Onions to get Lighter and Pinker Lips
Methods of using onions to lighten Lips
1- Onion, Lemon Juice & Sugar
- A large red onion
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon/lime juice
- Peel off the skin of the onion.
- Using a hand grater or food processor, grate or pulse the onion until it has formed a smooth paste.
- Put the paste into a bowl and add the sugar and lemon juice.
- Combine well.
- Use a toothbrush to apply the mixture directly to the lips. When applying, brush the lips gently with the mixture.
- Place the mixture on your lips once a day 3 times a week.
2- Onion Juice & Vitamin E Oil
- 2 tablespoon onion juice
- 2 drops of vitamin E oil
- Use a blender or food processor to turn the onion into a paste. If using a blender, add a bit of water.
- Use a cheesecloth or sieve to extract the juice from the paste.
- Add a few drops of vitamin E oil to the onion juice.
- Apply the mixture to the lips before going to bed.
- Use 3 times a week for 1 month.
Are onions good for the lips
Onions are packed full of nutrients that nourish and soften the lips. Below are the potential benefits of using onions on the lips:
- Regular application of onion juice may help remove dead skin cells and provide soft and supple lips.
- Components like quercetin and other sulfur-rich phytochemicals present in onion help to delay the signs of aging lips including loss of volume and dullness of the lips.
- The combination of flavonoids and vitamin C in onions is excellent for the lighten the lips and improving color.
- Onions have strong antibacterial and antifungal properties that may improve any rash or irritation of the lips.