Did you know that certain Lip Scrubs once used correctly can help to lighten dark lips and even make them pinker? At least they did for me and for a lot of other individuals.
That’s why in this article I am going to share with you:
- The best ingredients to use or look for in lip scrubs to help lighten dark lips
- Some easy lip-lightening lip scrub recipes
- And some affordable lip scrubs you can buy to help lighten your lips.
Can Lip Scrubs Effectively Lighten Dark Lips
Yes. Lip scrubs can gradually, but effectively help to lighten dark lips.
However, keep in mind that while I have tried the scrubs in this article, my lips will not be the same as yours or everyone else’s.
Everyone’s skin is different and lip darkness can be caused by various things (medications, illnesses, smoking, food, lip products, allergic reactions, injuries, daily habits, etc). This will also affect how well and how fast each lip scrub will work for different people.
You should also check out my article on How Often to Use a Lip Scrub & Tips How to use Lip Scrubs
If you are a smoker check out 8 Ways How to Lighten & Heal Dark Lips From Smoking
Best Ingredients In Lip Scrubs To Lighten Dark Lips
Sugar is a popular ingredient in almost all lip scrubs.
It acts as the physical exfoliant that gets rid of dead skin cells and buffs away roughness. Regular exfoliation is one of the ways that you can get rid of old, pigmented cells and encourage the growth of new, healthier, and lighter skin cells on your lips.
Related Article – Using Niacinamide For Dark Lips – What You Need to Know
Lemon or lime juice contains tons of Vitamin C and Citric Acid, both of which help to make the skin lighter.
Vitamin C inhibits melanin production by affecting the way tyrosine (an important enzyme in melanin production) works and Cirtirc acid gently but effectively helps to exfoliate the skin and clean your pores.
Related Article- Lemon for Lips: Is it Safe, How to use & Benefits
Turmeric has been used for centuries in traditional skincare and is known for its skin-lightening effects.
A more recent study has also indicated that curcumin (the active nutrient in turmeric) can affect the way melanin is produced by affecting the way tyrosine and other proteins involved in its synthesis work.
Related Article – How to Use Turmeric to make Dark Lips Lighter & Pinker
Honey is known in organic skin care as a soothing, hydrating, and healing agent. But it can also help to lighten the darkness.
Raw honey gets its antimicrobial abilities from its hydrogen peroxide content. Hydrogen peroxide not only prevents bacterial growth but also inhibits melanin production in the skin cells without damaging healthy skin cells. The exact mechanism is not fully understood.
Honey does not contain tons of hydrogen peroxide, so its effects will be very gradual, which is also good for the thin, sensitive skin of the lips.
Related Article – How to use Honey to Make Dark Lips Lighter & Pinker
5- Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is known for its hydrating and soothing effects on the skin, mostly. However, it can also gradually make the skin lighter.
Aloe vera contains an active compound that is called Aloesin. This compound has been shown to directly inhibit the activity of tyrosine, which is one of the major enzymes responsible for melanin production in the skin.
So, using aloe vera on dark lips consistently, will, over time, lighten the lips as old skin cells are replaced with newer ones that have less melanin!
Related Article – Aloe Vera for Lips: Benefits, How to Use & Side Effects
Pomegranate juice is another popular skincare ingredient that is known to lighten skin. It is popular in lip products because it is natural and gentle.
Pomegranate contains Punicalagin. This is a polyphenolic compound found in the fruit extract which has been shown to affect melanin synthesis by interfering with the way tyrosinase (an essential enzyme for melanin production) works.
Best DIY Lip Scrubs To Lighten Dark Lips
Here are a few simple but great lip scrubs that you can make at home to help lighten dark lips:
1- The Refined Sensibilities Ultimate Lightening Lip Scrub
- 1/4 cup of granulated sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 teaspoons turmeric powder
- 3 – 4 drops of lemon juice or lemon oil
- 8 – 10 drops of vitamin E oil
- Mixing bowl
- Storage Jar
- Put all your ingredients (except the sugar) into your mixing bowl.
- Mix them until well-combined
- Add in the sugar and mix well until combined (do not mix too long or the sugar will melt)
- Transfer the mixture to your storage jar
- Use 1-3 times per week depending on how dark your lips are and how your skin reacts.
- Store in the refrigerator.
2- Pomegranate Lip Scrub
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 4 Tablespoons fresh pomegranate juice
- few drops of pomegranate essential oil
- Mixing bowl
- Storage jar
- Add the sugar and coconut oil to a large bowl. Mix until well combined. If coconut oil is too hard, heat in the microwave in a heat-safe bowl for 15-25 seconds or until the oil is softened
- Add the pomegranate juice and essential oil until the juice is evenly distributed and the texture is to your liking (it should not be runny).
- Spoon the scrub into an airtight container or jar. Store in the refrigerator.
- Use 1-3 times per week as needed.
3- Aloe Vera Lip Scrub
- ½ tbsp white sugar
- ¼ tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tbsp aloe vera gel (fresh from the plant or store-bought is fine)
- Mixing bowl
- Storage Jar
- If you’re using a fresh aloe vera leaf, use a knife to slice it open. Then use a fork to mush up the gel on the leaf and break it apart. Then use your spoon to scoop out how much you need and place it in your mixing bowl. You can also blend the aloe vera gel to make it smoother. Store the excess in the refrigerator to use for something else.
- If you’re using store-bought aloe vera gel, just add how much you need from the bottle or jar to your bowl.
- Add your coconut oil and then add the sugar.
- Mix everything until the consistency is like wet sand.
- Transfer to your storage jar and keep in the refrigerator.
- Use 1-3 times per week or as needed.
Best Lip Scrubs To Lighten Dark Lips That You Can Buy
1- Omorfee Organic Lip Lightening Scrub
Omorfee Lip Scrub is my favorite one, For me, it worked really fast and showed noticeable results quickly.
It contains mango butter and vitamin E for hydration and conditioning. It also contains kojic acid for chemical exfoliation and to decrease melanin production in the skin cells of your lips.
For actual scrubbing action and physical exfoliation, it contains spruce wood cellulose beads that remove dead skin cells and smoothen the surface of the lips while boosting blood flow.
You can use this scrub 1-2 times per week depending on how dark your lips are and how they react to the treatment.
2- Bella Vita Organic NicoLips Lip Balm Scrub
This lip scrub is made of a blend of hydrating and conditioning ingredients like:
- Shea butter, mango butter,
- cocoa butter, kokum butter,
- coconut oil, sunflower oil, almond oil, sesame oil, castor oil, carrot seed oil,
- natural wax, candelilla wax, carnauba wax,
- glycerin, and Vitamin E.
It also contains beetroot extract which is believed to have lightening properties and crushed walnut shells which physically exfoliate the lips.
3- Handmade Heroes Coconut Sorbet Lip Scrub
If your dark lips are being caused by dryness and irritation, this lip scrub will be perfect for you. It focuses on exfoliating and conditioning the lips to make them healthy and plump.
Over time, the new skin cells will be healthier, more hydrated, and pinker.
It contains sugar for exfoliation, sweet almond oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, jojoba oil, sunflower lecithin, glycerin, and Vitamin E.