Beetroot is super rich in vitamins and minerals making it a very healthy food.
But did you know that it can help to make your skin and lips look lighter and healthier?
Benefits of Using Beetroot For Lips
The many benefits of using beetroot for the lips and the skin include:
- Skin Brightening – Can overtime work to lighten dark lips
- Anti-aging – helps to reduce wrinkles on the lips
- Anti-inflammatory -meaning it can help to heal damaged lips
Vitamin C in beetroot helps to brighten the skin of the lips by inhibiting melanin production.
It also gently exfoliates the skin which encourages new cell growth. This regeneration process also boosts collagen production which helps to firm the skin, making fine lines, wrinkles, and signs of aging less apparent.
Along with hydration, the vitamin C and antioxidants in beets will also help to protect the lips from environmental damage.
Over time, all these processes will result in lighter, pinker, and healthier lips.
You can also use Beetroot to make a lip tint or stain click here to read my DIY Beetroot Lip Stain Natural Recipes
How long does it take for Beetroot to lighten lips?
Beetroot can take anywhere from a few days to a few weeks to visibly lighten your lips.
This will depend on:
- How dark your lips are
- The cause of the darkness
- Your daily habits
- How your skin reacts to the beetroot treatment (some see changes faster than others and vice versa)
I recommend that you go through your habits and figure out what could be causing your lips to darken.
If you need medical advice, then consult your dermatologist too. When you figure out what is causing the darkness, our beetroot remedy can be used more effectively!
Related Articles –
Does beetroot make lips pink permanently?
Beetroot is not a permanent solution for dark lips.
However, it will keep your lips pink for as long as you keep using it, especially if the cause of the darkness is kept under control. It will also work best if your daily habits support healthy, pink lips as well.
I recommend that you develop an easy, but effective lip care routine. Focus on gentle exfoliation, nourishment, and hydration.
Can you apply Beetroot on the lips overnight?
Beetroot is safe to be left on your lips overnight. Since this is a natural vegetable, it is non-toxic and not known to cause dryness or irritation.
You can leave pure beet juice on your lips overnight. If you are using it in a mixture or with other ingredients, be sure that the others can also be left on your lips overnight without causing any problems.
I love to use a DIY beetroot lip balm during the night. I just apply it before bed and go right to sleep!
Can you apply beetroot on lips daily?
Yes, beetroot can be applied to your lips every day. You can apply the beet juice alone or apply it in a lip balm or mask.
I usually use the beetroot lip balm on a daily basis. It’s super easy to reapply throughout the day and night!
Related Articles –
DIY Beetroot Recipes For Lips
The juice of the beetroot can be applied directly on your lips or it can be extracted and added to DIY lip recipes.
How To Extract Beet Juice
What you will need:
- 1 beetroot
- A juicer, blender or food processor
- A fine mesh strainer or a clean cheesecloth
- Storage jar or cup
What to do:
- Wash, peel and cut your beet into small pieces
- Pass the piece of beet through the juicer. If you do not have a juicer, put the pieces of the beetroot in the blender or the food processor with a small amount of water (just to help it move around in the blender).
- Take the blended beet out of the blender or processor and strain it over your container or up. Strain a second time to make sure you do not have any chunks. Be sure to squeeze the excess juice out of the pulp that you should have left.
- Store your beet juice in the refrigerator or use it immediately in your recipes.
Related Article – How to get Pink & Lighter Lips with Onions (Shocking Truth)
Beetroot + Vaseline For Pink Lips (HerbaZest Lip Balm)
- ¼ teaspoon beet juice
- ¼ teaspoon coconut oil (optional)
- ½ teaspoon petroleum jelly (Vaseline)
- 2 Vitamin E capsules (optional)
- Storage jar
- Microwavable bowl
- Wash, peel, and shred a small beetroot in your bowl. Squeeze the pieces through a thin cloth to extract as much of the natural juice as you can.
- You can also boil your beetroot juice to thicken it and intensify the color (this is optional).
- Add your beet juice and all the other ingredients to your bowl and microwave for a few seconds until everything is melted.
- Remove from the microwave and stir the mixture until well combined.
- Transfer to your clean storage jar and let the mixture cool down to room temperature. It should solidify a bit.
- Use this as you would a regular lip balm.
- Store in room temperature settings for up to 3 months and in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. However, if the smell of color changes, dispose of this one and make a fresh batch.
Related Article – Using Niacinamide For Dark Lips – What You Need to Know
Beetroot + Sugar Exfoliating Lip Scrub
- Beetroot juice (or beetroot powder)
- Coconut oil
- Vaseline (optional)
- An empty bowl
- In your bowl, add 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 tablespoon of Vaseline
- Then add 2 teaspoons of beet juice.
- Mix the ingredients until well combined.
- Then add a few drops of coconut oil (do not make the paste too thin).
- Mix the paste until it is well combined.
- Apply to clean lips and massage in a circular motion all over the lips for a few minutes.
- Then let it sit on the lips for 5-10 minutes.
- Wash off with clean, cool water and apply your lip balm.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (if the color or smell changes, dispose and make a fresh scrub).
Video of HOW TO MAKE BEETROOT LIP SCRUB FOR INSTANT PINK LIPS
Beetroot + Milk + Honey Lip Mask
- Whole Milk
- Beet Juice
- Mixing bowl
- In your bowl, put 1 tsp beet juice, 1 tsp honey, and 1 tsp whole milk.
- Mix your ingredients until they are well combined.
- You can add more honey if you want the mask to be thicker.
- Apply the mask to clean lips and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
- Wash off with cool water and apply your lip balm.
- Repeat daily or as often as necessary.
- You can store this mask in the refrigerator for future use (if the smell of color changes, throw it out and make a fresh mask).
Related Article – Lactic Acid for Dark Lips: How to Use, Benefits & Risks
Possible Side Effects Of Using Beetroot For Lips
There are no reported cases of severe side effects associated with using beetroot on your skin.
However, like with ALL topical treatments, the possibility of an adverse reaction is always there. Look out for:
If you notice these symptoms after using beetroot on your lips, wash your skin off with clean, cool water, and do not reapply the beetroot. Instead, apply a gentle moisturizer or lip balm and let your skin rest.
Also, remember that beetroot is deep red and the juice will stain your skin (and pink lips are what we want!).
If you see some redness on your lips, it’s not a bad reaction unless it is accompanied by swelling and itching, or discomfort.
Always do a test patch before applying any topical treatments (natural or medical) on your lips.