Rose water has taken the beauty industry by storm with its skin benefits. It is literally distilled water infused with rose petals. So how can this simple remedy help our lips?
Can You Safely Use Rose Water On Lips
Organic Rose Water is safe to use on your lips.
Organic rose water simply means rose water that is made using distilled water and rose petals. Avoid using those that have alcohol in them.
Not only is organic rose water safe and gentle enough for the sensitive skin of the lips, but just in case you end up licking it off, that’s safe too!
Benefits of Rose Water For Lips
1- Maintain skin pH
Rose water helps to balance and maintain the pH of your skin. Even the sensitive skin of the lips.
2- Hydrates and soothes
Rose water nourishes the skin with moisture. This helps to soothe dry lips, cracks, and other drying and irritating conditions that may affect the lips or surrounding skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties make it great for conditions like eczema and psoriasis.
Another great way to moisturize your lips is to use Hyaluronic Acid for Lips: Benefits & How to Use for Results
Related Article – Vitamin E Oil for Dark Lips: Benefits, Risks & How to Use
3- Strengthens the skin’s barrier
Rose water helps to strengthen the skin’s protective barrier which helps it to remain safe from environmental stressors by employing antioxidant action.
Related Article – Beetroot for Lighter & Pinker Lips- How to Use & Benefits
4- Reduces the appearance of darkness
While rose water is not a bleaching agent, it gently unclogs pores and exfoliates the skin. This removes layers of dead skin cells and debris from the lips.
Using rose water constantly will eventually resurface the lips with lighter, pinker, and healthier skin cells.
Other more effective ways to lighten lips are:
Side Effects of Rose Water For Lips
Even though rose water is a natural remedy, side effects are still possible.
Possible side effects may include:
- Allergic reactions (hives or swelling)
I suggest that you always do a patch test on your lip before using it all over them.
I also recommend paying attention to the kind of rose you are using to make your rose water or the kind of rose used in commercially made rose water products.
Also, avoid using rose water that has been made with alcohol. This can dry out your lips and do more harm than good.
If you experience any of the above-mentioned side effects and they become unbearable (especially an allergic reaction), wash your lips immediately using clean, cool water and seek medical attention right away.
How to Use Rose Water For Lips
The best way to use rose water for lips is as a toner or mixed in other skin treatments.
To use rose water as a toner, simply put some on a cotton ball or pad and gently apply it to your lips. Let it sit for a few minutes and then apply your lip balm.
This can be done every day. I recommend starting it once daily and then increasing your frequency to twice daily if needed. It can be left on the lips all day or overnight.
I recommend the Rose Water Facial Toner by Leven Rose. This rose water is said to be alcohol-free and non-oily, glycerin-free, and additional fragrance-free with no perfume added making it perfect for your lips.
Rose water can be used in your lip masks in place of water or the liquid component. Simply mix it with your other ingredients to make your mask or lip balm and apply it as you usually would. This can be applied to the lips as often as you need.
Some common lip masks use turmeric, milk, honey, chickpea powder, etc. Rose water can be added for its amazing benefits and to mix everything together.
I like the C.O. Bigelow All Purpose Rose Salve Lip Balm it contains rose oil, which is a concentrated form of rose essence, much similar to rose water.
Most commercial products use this form of rose extract to deliver more of a punch and for its ability to be more compatible with other ingredients.
For a good Rose water lip mask, I recommend the Andalou Lip Sleeping Mask. It is an overnight mask that is safe to use while you sleep to deliver maximum hydration to your lips.
Video: Frugal Family Home – How To Make Rose Water
You can also make your own rose water home, check out the video below.
DIY Rose Water Recipes For Lips
1- Rosewater Lip Balm
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. sunflower seed oil (or you can substitute with olive oil instead)
- 2 Tbsp. rosewater
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. (.75oz) beeswax
- Sauce pan
- Glass measuring cup
- Spoon to stir
- Small medicine dispenser or syringe
- Lip balm containers
- In your glass measuring cup, mix the beeswax, sunflower oil, and olive oil.
- Grab a small saucepan that can accommodate your measuring cup, then add a few inches of water to the saucepan while the cup is inside. This willl create a twin boiler system.
- On the stovetop, set the “double boiler” to medium heat and add the ingredients.
- The beeswax should be allowed to melt while being stirred occasionally to incorporate the oils.
- Add your 2 tbsp of rose water to the beeswax mixture after it has completely melted.
- You will now reduce the heat to low and stir occasionally for the next 20 minutes.
- Crucial step: test the texture of your lip balm by taking a tiny spoonful of the mixture and letting it dry fully. Add a little extra olive oil if it seems too solid.
- Using a little medication dispenser or pipette, start filling your containers once you feel your balm has achieved the proper consistency.
- Let the balm cool down and then use as normal.
Related Article – How to get Pink & Lighter Lips with Onions (Shocking Truth)
2- Turmeric + Rose Water + Milk Lip Mask
- Rose water
- Tumeric powder
- Full cream milk
- Mixing bowl
- In your mixing bowl, add ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- Then add a few drop of milk until the mixture becomes a thick, clumpy paste
- Finally, add your rose water until the mixture has a consistency that you can work with
- Spread the mask on clean lips and gently massage for a minute
- Let the mask sit for a few minutes and then wash it off
- Apply lip balm afterward.