Grapeseed oil is naturally extracted from grape seeds after they have been used to make wine.
This oil is choc full of linoleic acid and antioxidants that are great for the skin. Beauty experts have even discovered that you can use grapeseed oil for your lips!
Benefits Of Grapeseed Oil For Lips
1- It is a powerful antioxidant
Proanthocyanidins (which can be found in grapeseed oil) are very potent antioxidants. According to studies, grapeseed proanthocyanidins have an antioxidant capacity that is 20 times more than that of vitamin E and 50 times greater than that of vitamin C (gasp!).
Therefore, grapeseed’s potent antioxidant properties can aid in minimizing wrinkles, fine lines, and other aging symptoms including sun spots.
This can be very helpful for lips that are affected easily by the sun, aging, fine lines, and wrinkles.
2- It evens out skin tone and lessens hyperpigmentation
Those who suffer from dark or blotchy lips can benefit by using grapeseed oil consistently.
Although the exact mechanism of action is not fully understood yet, experts suggest that the antioxidants in grapeseed oil can help to lessen hyperpigmentation and even skin tone over time. Especially those caused by sun damage.
Other ways to lighten lips:
3- Grapeseed oil is antimicrobial
According to the experts, due to the presence of catechins (a class of polyphenolic chemicals), grapeseed oil has modest antibacterial and astringent characteristics. This means that it cleanses the skin where it is applied.
Related Article –
4- It is hydrating
Grapeseed oil has hydrating fatty acids and vitamin E, and it lowers inflammation. It may make skin feel tighter and look younger by keeping it hydrated and supple.
5- Reduces Wrinkles
Experts say that grapeseed oil can boost collagen production and helps to firm the skin. It is even said to help reduce the appearance of fine lines, smoothening out the texture of the skin.
6- It protects against free radical damage
Beta-carotene, vitamins D, C, and E, as well as polyphenols, are just a few of the beneficial antioxidants abundant in grapeseed oil.
The advantages include the scavenging of free radicals and defense against environmental aggressors like UV radiation or pollution.
How To Use Grapeseed Oil For Lips
Grapeseed oil can be applied directly to the lips or mixed with other ingredients (either in ready-made lip products or in DIY recipes for the lips).
Best DIY Grapeseed Oil Recipes For Lips
1- The Pretty Bee Lip Balm
- ½ Tablespoon beeswax
- 1 Tablespoon of grape seed oil
- 1 Tablespoon of pure cocoa butter
- 4 drops of sweet orange oil
- 2 drops of vitamin E oil
- lip balm tubes
- Microwavable bowl or pot
- Grate some beeswax onto a sheet of waxed paper, and set aside.
- Then take out some of the cocoa butter and set aside.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper. Stand your lib balm tube up without the tops on.
- Melt the beeswax, cocoa butter, and almond oil. You can use the microwave if you want to. Just microwave for 30 seconds at a time and stir in between until smooth.
- Once the beeswax, almond oil, and cocoa butter are well combined and smooth, remove them from the heat.
- Add the vitamin E oil and the sweet orange essential oil if desired. Stir well.
- Use the pipette to fill the lip balm tubes, but not to the top. Leave about a 1/4 inch empty at the top.
- Wait about three minutes, and once the lip balm starts to harden, use the pipette to fill the tubes to the top. This will give you a nice, smooth finish.
- Let the lip balm sit for about 2 hours to firm up.
- Use this daily or as often as you need to.
Video: DIY Moisturizing Lip Balm To Heal LIPS
A similar recipe to the pretty bee lip balm being made
2- The Peppermint Grapeseed Lipbalm
- 1 TBSP Grapeseed Oil
- 1 tsp. Beeswax Pellets
- 1 tsp Shea Butter (optional)
- 7 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil
- Lip Balm Tubes or Altoid Containers
- Small Pot
- Glassy Pyrex Measuring cup or small glass bowl
- Create a double boiler by filling your small pot halfway with water.
- Place your glass pyrex measuring cup or glass bowl in the water and add grapeseed oil, shea butter, and beeswax.
- Allow the ingredients to melt on low heat-medium heat until well combined.
- Remove from heat and add the peppermint essential oil.
- Pour into lip balm containers and let it cool until solid again.
- Apply to your lips daily or as often as needed.
3- The Easy Lippie
- 1-ounce beeswax, finely chopped or grated
- ½ cup vegetable fats made up of: 1/4 brittle fats, such as cocoa butter, and 1/3 solid fats, such as shea butter, coconut butter, or hemp seed butter,
- Fill up the rest of the way with grapeseed oil
- Double boiler or a small pot and glass bowl
- Lip balm tubes or containers
- Melt together the beeswax and vegetable fats in the double boiler or the alternative small pot and glass bowl.
- When well combined, pour the mixture into your lip balm tubes or containers.
- Let them cool until solid.
- Use daily or as often as needed.
Best Grapeseed Oil Lip Products
1- Treatment by Hanalei with Grapeseed Oil
The Hawaiian kukui nut oil used in this lip restoration product has vital fatty acids that reduce dryness and aid in rehydrating the lips.
Agave and grapeseed oils are antioxidant-rich and can help soothe and shield your lips from damaging free radicals. Available in a variety of flavors.
2- BEAUTY by POPSUGAR Be Calm Lip Save
This lip balm contains natural vegetable oil which shines and smoothes; jojoba seed oil which softens and guards; grapeseed oil which brightens and seals; and shea butter which naturally retains moisture for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Can Grapeseed oil lighten dark lips?
Yes. Over time, experts believe that grapeseed oil can lighten dark lips.
Its powerful antioxidant properties lead researchers to believe that it can even out skin tone when used consistently.
How long will grape seed oil take to lighten dark lips?
Grapeseed oil will take weeks to months to lighten dark lips.
However, this will also depend on how dark your lips are and what is causing it in the first place. You will most likely see better results if you control or eliminate the cause as well.
Are there any side effects of using grapeseed oil on lips?
Grapeseed oil is generally well tolerated and not associated with many side effects.
However, sensitivity reactions, allergic reactions, and irritation are always a possibility.
Always do a patch test before applying grapeseed oil or products containing grapeseed oil.